Sunday, January 07, 2007

Bak 2 Skool

As I have said before, I like my job, so I didn't mind going back after the break. I do feel slightly cheated though because much as I like having a break, I dont get that real WOOOOO I AM OUT OF THAT HORRIBLE PLACE FOR X DAYS I HOPE IT BURNS TO THE GROUND WHILE I AM NOT THERE feeling. I like not being there but I dont mind being there if you see what I mean.
Anyway, we went to Nawab on Wednesday and ate the world's most delicious curries. Again. In a pathetic attempt at healthiness, I had a curry based on yoghurt rather than cream and oil. Then I had two pints and a poppadom :-)
And today I made half a skirt! An A line skirt out of an old pair of curtains that I THINK were given to me by mum but I can't remember. They are pink and flowery anyway and I think they are late 50s/60s judging by material and style. They are now a knee length A line skirt. With a ZIP in it. That I did myself! I have never put a zip in anything apart from makeup bags and various "something that goes in a straight line and no one will care if it doesnt fit in right" types of thing. AND I pressed the hems before sewing it up, so I am obviously destined to give up the job I like and go and be Stella Mcartney or someone like that....
Actually I dont think I will. Its taken me three hours to make the pattern, cut the material out, sew in the zip, iron it, realise its two sizes too big because I was working in centimeters and I dont understand them, resize it, sew up the sides, re-hem it because its also too damn LONG, shout at the sewing machine because it ate the thing that the underneath cotton lives in (NO idea what its called but if you have a sewing machine you will know the bit I mean) , re-iron it, re-hem the bottom, realise I am sewing a pink skirt with black cotton, ignore that last realisation, forget about skirt for today and go and have a drink....
I sneaked back in and tried it on and it fits and once I have sewed in all the loose bits and tidied up the zip, I do believe it will be wearable. I will look like I am wearing one of Nora Batty's aprons (sorry to anyone who doesnt watch Last of The Summer Wine) but I dont care. It will clash with the HAT but sew what :-)

5 comments:

  1. Wow! A skirt made from curtains sounds like a pretty good recycling job to me! Are you going to post pictures when you finish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:45 PM

    Yes - pictures please! I want to see if I recognise those curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 hours !!! to do all that?
    What did you do, fast forward yourself? It would have taken me 3 years!
    Pictures definitely!
    (Oh and if I find out what the underneath cotton thingy is called I'll let you know...I've just decided to investigate the mysteries of sewing and my new machine still has its instructions)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bobbin?

    I'm guessin' here....LOL

    *patiently awaiting photos*

    I'da given up when it didn't fit right the first time....
    Okay....truth is I wouldn't have started it in the first place cuz I don't own a sewing machine--mostly cuz I suck at sewing.
    And knitting.
    And drawing...even my stick people come out looking lopsided.

    :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobbin :)
    D'you know, my new machine doesn't eat the thread from the bobbin? I've never had one before that didn't. Amazing :)

    ReplyDelete