Saturday, September 09, 2006

Dead TV

No, not a horror film. Our telly died the other day (it was doing that thing where it flicked off and on and you "fix" it by hitting it with heavy objects in what you think are strategic, technical places) and so today we went to get a new one. After fruitless ventures in Comet and the like (look - I want a NORMAL telly. Not a ten feet wide plasma surround home cinema plex one.) we eventually roll up in Europe's biggest Asda (that's Wallmart to you American people. Its called Asda over here. God knows why). Anyway, we find a 29" NORMAL telly for £149! Wooooo. But they have none left in stock, according to slack jawed, six fingered assistant. Oh well, back on the telly buying road, thinks us. And on the way out we walk past a pile of the damn things just by the entrance! Back to the counter and we tell the assistant "You DO have them in stock. There is a mile high pile of them over there. Look!". Blank stares and twitching indecisevness abounds. Him Indoors gets cross and we go off to complain to the manager.
5 minutes later we are given a youth with a pallet truck (we can't keep him sadly) and we buy the damn thing.
Once its home, all joy is gone as we realise we have to actually find it room to live in as its WAY bigger than the old one, and more importantly - take everything out of the corner where the old one lived. AKA Cable central.
Surprisingly, it all just worked. Although the sound system is now homeless in a pile in the hall. At least we can have music through the pc until we find it a new home. I cannot be without music for very long.
And then I did some violent things in the garden, washed dishes, had a bath, read Darkside magazine and made a beef casserole. I haven't actually watched the damn thing yet. Will dig out goriest film I can find later and watch that!

6 comments:

  1. Is that the ASDA near City's ground? I must confess the place overwhelms Dearest and I. It's too feckin' big. And I agree, some of the 'personnel' leave a whole lot to be desired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats the one Steve. I normally try and avoid it but sometimes Morrisons depresses me and I give in and go to Asda. I have to say that the women who work in Asda seem to be fine - its the younger blokes that are , well, idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous litarary moments in Faery history: "5 minutes later we are given a youth with a pallet truck (we can't keep him, sadly)" and then the very descriptive: "And then I did some violent things in the garden.."

    Damned funny...;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *chuckling*

    I did some rather violent things to the lawn myself.... And I enjoyed every minute of it!!

    Congratulations on the new television--now if you can just make time to actually watch it, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo I feel I should explain the violence. I have a privet hedge that's about 100 feet tall. Think Sleeping Beauty's brambles and your in the right direction. Every so often I go out with a hack saw and pretend its people I don't like and cut a bit down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Busy day then :)
    Where do they get those youths?
    My favourites are the ones where you say 'Is this machine compatible with whatever it is I have at home' (details writen down carefully so you don't look a complete fool) and they read the label (aloud) that you've just studied for 5 minutes and say 'well it does all these things on the label'.
    Duh!

    ReplyDelete