Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Cult of personality

Before I start, I watched the first series of Pop Idol. I am not slating people who watch these programmes. I am just becoming overwhelmed by the "celebs" that appear on them. Who are you and what are you for???
Ok, you have had some pretty famous people in that jungle one. John Lydon was quite entertaining I am led to believe. But on the whole, I just don't get it.
Ok, your career may be flagging somewhat and your agent persuades you to go on the show to boost your public profile/earn yourself (and therefore your agent) a few quid. Ok, if you are a legit celeb maybe, just maybe there is a reason for you doing this. Maybe you are reinventing yourself, Michael Barrymore style, so that the general public stop thinking you are a woman hating, suspicious death covering up has-been. Maybe you just like a laugh, Janet Street-Porter style. Maybe you have serious psychological problems, a la Les Dennis. At least you DID stuff before you went into the jungle/house/got judged for your singing ability (or lack of it).
But how come those who haven't done anything previously except hang around nightclubs looking orange/being outrageously over the top gay as a career choice/doing stupidly parent embarrasing adult-orientated acts in front of the nation actually get ridiculously famous after they have won/lost the stupid programme? Jade Goody. What on earth is the point of her?? She has her own column in a magazine and she can barely speak!!
And while I am on the subject, Paris Hilton. Nichole Ritchie. What are they FOR?
And the blame surely lies with those who go along with the media hype about these idiotic excuses for human beings. Let these excuses for people think they are important and they will start behaving like it.
Today I got stuck in mad traffic because the motorway was closed because of an accident.9 cars crashed. A lorry set on fire, and so did some of the other cars. 2 people died. Other drivers got out of their own cars and tried to put the flames out with their little tiny personal fire extinguishers. Lorries blocked the lanes to stop other cars ploughing into the accident. Other drivers tried to give first aid to those involved in the accident. And lead story on the local news? Jade Goody's relationship is in trouble. Kerry Katona is in drug rehab. What a world.
Make that bloke that won Big Brother prime minister and have done with it.

3 comments:

  1. It's cool that people in England are ready to help out at accidents...over here, you're lucky if they avoid hitting you again for good measure as they rip on past.

    I don't suppose you get "Rockstar:Supernova" over there..Tommy Lee, Gilby Clarke and Jason Newstead search for a lead singer in a grungier, Idol way..facinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed, What are they for? I don't get the whole celeb thing AT ALL.
    But I thought it was maybe because I'm too old for it:) When I was little maybe I'd have got sucked in?

    And I so agree about the news too. at least you told us about the people helping in the accident otherwise no one would ever know (well not no one exactly)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mangey - yeah we get that Rockstar thing. And (hides embarrassed face) I watch it! I like the way the house band kind of just hunour all the "singers" :-)
    Mig - you are not old! Goodness, dont you lot stay up late!

    ReplyDelete