Saturday, June 17, 2006

I am what I am - sadly :-)

I spend a bit of time reading a lot of "crafting" blogs. Its mostly American ladies with young children who seem to have access to the best charity shops in the world, and who then make gorgeous stuff with the material and things they find there for about 4 cents. They have lovely houses, cook pretty cakes and spend every other day at the beach with a hamper full of home made cheese and wine. They dont get me all annoyed or anything - I just wonder where do they find the time??Ok, some of them don't work, but they do have kids, which surely cancels that out a bit. I realise that if I lived in America, I too would probably be able to afford a big house somewhere nice rather than the elderly, falling apart tatty shoe box I currently live in, but when you see all those bleached wood floors and home made curtains and tended gardens (mine is a jungle of mis-matched plants bought on the spur of the moment and planted wherever there is a bit of room which explains why a rather worrying sycamore tree planted as a seed 6 years ago is now becoming a tree hanging over the rather worried next door neighbours garden), it does make me wonder - HOW do they make it all look so easy and so nice?
I guess my problem is this. I can clean up and paint the kitchen. Or I can go and rehearse with my band/sit in the pub with him indoors/play with the cats in the garden/read a book/write and so on and so on. The "and so on" wins every time. I will be old soon enough, and then I WILL have the time and inclination to live in house beautiful. In the mean time I will drink just enough Aussie red wine to ignore the faded paintwork, listen to enough loud music to ignore the pile of washing that wants putting away and go and play my guitar in a tiny, heat filled room with a load of sweaty blokes just long enough to make the un-made bed not matter.
I am not a sloven - I am a bohemian :-)

3 comments:

  1. It's all a smokescreen for something else, I'm telling you...these American chicks and their "perfect" lives and stuff. I'm sure they're up to no good somehow. I prefer my scruffy house and it's wild desert all the way up to the front door myself. Down with yuppie chicks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:07 AM

    Just how old do you have to be to live in the "House Beautiful" then? I'm still waiting and I get my bus pass next year. I blame your father, he's a bad influence on me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "and so on" wins every time with me too. Once in a while I clean the house all over and think, ooh this is nice, I'll do it all the time and live in a picture book.
    then "so on" calls and it all goes back to where it was!
    But it's ok, now I realise I can be a bohemian instead of a sloven...if you don't mind me copying you :)

    ReplyDelete