Sunday, March 26, 2006

Pub Crawl

My boss is on holiday and work is a terrifying place as I am responsible for everything. Consequently I have been stressed out a bit and so yesterday we decided to get the bus into town so we could both have a drink, and do a bit of mooching about.
Left home at 3pm and went to Waterstones, where I bought a book about Lynyrd Skynyrd and that Excess All Areas book about Status Quo. Then we went to The Sawyers on Deansgate and had a pint. Then we went to a South African place called Barracuda, then to The Salisbury.
Here is a picture of our pints. And another of the alleyway outside.


















Then it was off to the Lass O Gowrie for another. And then we WERE going to go to the Old Monkey, as we used to spend a lot of time there many years ago, when it was new. Except we changed our minds and went into the smallest pub in Manchester, The Circus Tavern. Its REALLY small but very nice and we met some Danish blokes who were going to see Stiff Little Fingers.
Then we were getting hungry so we thought we would head into town. We almost walked past a little Italian resteraunt but then changed our minds and went in and I glad we did because it was lovely! We had a bottle of wine and I had a blue cheese pizza and him indoors had a seafood one. It was proper pizza, nothing like Pizza Hut or any of those places, and soooo garlicky. And I cannot for the life of me think what it was called! Its either Don Antonio or Bella Roma, and I would like to get it right because it was very, very nice. Small and a bit poky, and the waitresses didn't speak much English (in fact they were Chinese!), but the service was good and the food was lovely and it wasn't too dear.

Its on Portland Street if anyone knows it? There are more pictures but they are on my phone and the blue tooth wotsit is at work so I can't get them off until tomorrow.



Then it was last drink in the Bulls Head before getting a taxi home and realising it was nearly 10 o clock.....



3 comments:

  1. I hope you'd had a drink out of those pints, as they don't look quite like full pints!
    Otherwise it sounds like a great evening and makes me ever so nostalgic for Manchester.
    Did you ever read Elidor, by Alan Garner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove pub crawls! Did I ever tell you that my aunt was the mayor of Manchester back in the 70's somewhen? Feel free to hate her. She's a cow..;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mig - I adore Alan Garner, and I love Elidor. Its a bit like that round where I live even today!
    Mangey - what did she do to make you hate her? :-)I wasnt living in Manchester in the 70s so anything cow-like she did wouldnt have affected me..

    ReplyDelete