Sunday, November 07, 2004

Going back to the family (a Jethro Tull reference!)

Yesterday I went to see my Nana, Grandad and Uncle. It was my grandad's birthday. It was lovely to see them and I have made a pact with myself to go more often.
On the way back, I drove past the house I used to live in from being 7 to being 13. 83 Fairfield Road. It was small!!! Its a Victorian semi, 4 bedrooms, nice garden, and I remember it as being MUCH bigger than it was. Even the road was narrower,
although as I haven't lived there for 23 years, and there are an awful lot more cars about to use up the space, its not surprising. A lot of my strongest memories lie in that house and I am a bit disturbed that someone else lives in it - it should be a monument to our family!
They have had double glazing put in, but the front door and the little window in the tiny bedroom above the front door are still original. I wonder if it would be too cheeky to go back and ask to see the inside?
Sometimes there is nothing better than sitting around with your family and remembering stuff you used to do. We always spent 2 weeks in North Wales each summer en masse. Me, mum, dad , Nana, Grandad and Simon (my Uncle)always went to Rhos On Sea in a Triumph Toledo (Grandad's) and a Volkswagen Beetle (Dad's) Dad's car had plastic seats which got RED HOT if he parked in the sun and which caused third degree burns if you got in and sat down without remembering to get the rug first....
We played an awful lot of crazy golf, drank a lot of hot chocolate in the local Forte's cafe, and Simon and I virtually lived on the beach. The local swimming pool was an outdoor one, and fed by sea water, and I swear there is nothing colder on the face of the earth than the water in that swimming pool. Its a wonder I am still alive after swimming in that. One year I went swimming in the rain in the sea off the Great Orme. I don't think that's even legal these days!
Happy days.



1 comment:

  1. Not as good as the "big pink hat" jellyfish!

    ReplyDelete