Sunday, October 24, 2004

Hex

I've been watching Hex on Sky One and its great. Its been billed as the "British Buffy" but I can't stand Buffy so I took no notice of that, and it was really good. However, it has put me in mind of the way that people describe things for sale on Ebay. I am a bit of a rock chick/hippy chick type dresser (I like my old jeans, long skirts, velvet, band tshirts and my leather jacket), but when I look for stuff on Ebay, I find that 9 times out of 10, the things I like are described as "Boho/Sienna/Kate", which is as bad as saying that Hex is the British Buffy. Kate is Kate Moss. Sienna is Sienna Miller. Why would I want to buy clothes just because some morbidly underweight woman, famous just for wearing stuff , has been seen wearing something similar?I am not a big lass, so it's not envy, but what is it with this cultural edict we seem to be stuck with that says "whatever is new" has to be the same as "something we have already had"? What's wrong with "These jeans are ace and look really nice and you stand half a chance of being unique if you wear them with some other stuff that you like wearing"?
I am selling some jeans on Ebay at the moment. I have sold some before, to great success, but this time I have added "Boho/Kate/Sienna" to the description. Let's see if it makes a difference. Watch this space....

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:15 PM

    My word Sam! I bet you feel better after getting that lot of your chest! Actually, I agree with you absolutely - be an individual that's my motto! You obviously take after me - oh what a giveaway, I was trying to be anonymous about this!
    Sam's Mum again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, but I am old now, and therefore can be anything I like, and so can you (even though you are NOT old!. a bit like this : http://www.ladyjayes.com/oldwoman.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:45 PM

    Like the Old lady in purple dress bit - more on growing old!

    LIFE BY MAYA ANGELOU

    When I was in my younger days I weighed a few pounds less
    I needn’t hold my tummy in to wear a belted dress
    But now that I an older I’ve set my body free
    There’s the comfort of elastic where once my waist would be
    Inventor of those high-heeled shoes, my feet have not forgiven
    I have to wear a nine now, but used to wear a seven
    And how about those panty hose, they’re sized by weight you see
    So how come when I put them on the crotch is at my knee
    I need to wear these glasses, as the print’s been getting smaller
    And it wasn’t long ago I knew that I was taller
    Though my hair has turned to grey and my skin no longer fits
    On the inside, I’m the same old me, I haven’t changed a bit

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...but did the pants ever sell with their new and exciting hype?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pants auction wont finish till Sunday, so i shall let you know!There are NO bids and NO ONE watching them so I may have to wear them myself....

    ReplyDelete