Saturday, August 20, 2005

Pre Wedding Jitters

...and its not even MY wedding. Next Saturday our friends' son is getting married (that makes me feel ancient. I remember one time they came round to party the night away and had to bring him with them - he was 12 - because he had done some evil child thing and couldnt be left alone, and he sulked all night and here he is, a post grad, 22 and getting married..)
ANYWAY, it's a posh do and I have no posh clothes. I don't have to wear a suit or formal gear for work so I don't have posh people clothes. And neither does him indoors, unless you count his 1980s Ben Elton suit. And even Ben Elton wouldn't wear it anymore. So off we go to Asda and this is how it goes....
Him (within 5 seconds of entering the shop) - there's a black suit, in my size. I'll get that.
Me - (after 3 years of solid browsing) - everything's horrible or old-lady, the wrong size, no shoes will go with that, why dont they have that in a NICE colour, go and read the magazines while I kill myself....
I didn't get anything.
Tomorrow is round two in the clothing war. Normally, clothes shopping for me involves "does it have a picture of a band I like on it/is it denim/will that go with my suede high heeled boots/that looks sturdy and unfazed by beer spillage". NOW I have to buy real grown up people's clothing for once and I can't cope.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:49 PM

    It's a genetic thing - I am allergic to posh clothing of all kinds, and I've obviously passed it on to you. You should have taken your father's advice and got a posh frock off ebay - he says that's what he would have done! (I'm getting a bit worried about him now!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:52 PM

    Posh people clothes...that's damned funny. But understand how you feel...recently went to a friend's party with local prominant artists in attendance and didn't feel dressed well at all..must invest in my own poshness I believe...

    ReplyDelete